The Tale of Monte Cristo....sandwich






So I found myself with with an unexpected kid free day (hooray!), and so I thought I would do something very adult.  I called a girlfriend and invited her over for lunch.  She mentioned something about no more peanut butter and jellies and suggested we do something exotic.  I immediately popped out with "English Tea! You know, tiny sandwiches, tea, sugar cubes (do they still make those)  and we can watch some long, incomprehensible British movie on  Netflix.".  Then shuddered a little that I considered English Tea exotic.  She gave me a "Hell Ya!" and I felt much better.  She made her way over, and I got to prepping crust less cucumber, watercress sandwiches and tea, set the table all fancy like and put on my best non sweatpants outfit. 
It took us about 30 seconds to realize that cucumber watercress sandwiches are pretty dang gross, hot tea in September in Florida is just plain nuts, and that neither of us really wanted to watch some forbidden love blossom between Sir Reginald and Lady Tightbottom.   So I ran in the kitchen, whipped up some of these Monte Cristo sandwiches, poured us both a HUGE glass of sweet sun tea and we began an Absolutely Fabulous marathon on the couch.  Very adult indeed. 


P.S- they still do make sugar cubes, and they are the coolest.  I bought two packages...



What you need:

  • 4 slices white bread ( or you can use a Brioche)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp cream
  • dash of vanilla
  • ham
  • Swiss cheese
  • turkey
  • powdered sugar
  • strawberry jam
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • Mustard

What you do:

Whisk eggs, cream and vanilla together in a pie dish, or other flat bottomed vessel and set aside.
In a frying pan, heat butter and oil over medium heat.  Assemble your sandwiches as follows: On one slice of bread, spread desired amount of mustard, layer cheese, ham, turkey and another piece of cheese and top with your second piece of bread.  Put the whole thing, bread side down in the egg mixture, let it sit long enough for the bread to soak up some egg, than flip over.  Repeat with other sandwich and fry until both sides are golden brown and slightly crisp.  Once plated, dust with powdered sugar and serve with the strawberry jam. 





Comments

  1. you rock,
    so i nominated you for a liebster award!
    check it out: This Life Is Yours Blog

    xo - heather

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts