Birthday Cake Balls





So Thing 2 has a big birthday tomorrow...little man will be 2!  So instead of a traditional birthday cake, I figured something handheld will help spread the mess as much as possible.  Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment...I am giving a 2 year old birthday cake covered in chocolate, to go style.   These things are awesome, you may never make regular cake again.  And they are addictive, be warned.


What you need:



  • 1 box cake mix, any kind you like...I chose red velvet for these
  • 1 container cream cheese frosting...again, you can mix and match
  • White chocolate chips, or almond bark

What you do:

Make cake according to package directions, and cool completely.  Once cooled, cut off crusty edges of cake, and crumble well into a bowl.  Add frosting to cake and and mix in completely...I used my hands..yes its messy, but effective.   Roll into quarter size balls and put on a parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheet...you should have about 40 balls when done.   Cool in fridge for a few hours, or pop them in the freezer until very cold, but not frozen.  In the mean time, melt chips or bark in microwave safe bowl, or over a double boiler.  Once the balls are chilled, coat them in the chocolate.  The chocolate with cool quickly, so you may have to reheat chocolate once or twice. From there, you can decorate how you like!


P.S. If you melt chocolate in microwave, be sure to only do it 30 seconds at a time, mixing between each cycle.

P.P.S If you add a little shortening to melted chocolate...it will be easier to coat cake balls.

P.P.P.S  I think I may make Funfetti cake balls for the actual party, because I am sure you were wondering.




Comments

Popular Posts