Sunday Dinner





The only thing I miss about meat is bolognese.  I could eat blognese all day, everyday.  Too bad I can't have it...oh wait, I can!  Behold the red lentil bolognese recipe.  Hearty for the big eaters, and delicious for the picky ones.  You can almost eliminate the pasta, and eat it with crusty bread.  I added veggie crumbles  to up the protein punch, but it is just as good without it.


What you need:



red lentils

  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 gloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2/3 cup red lentils
  • 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper to taste

What you do;

Saute onion, garlic, carrot and celery in olive oil for about 5 min, or until tender.  Add lentils, stock, tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 20-25 min.  If you are going to add veggie crumbles, add at very end of cooking time.  If you add it before it will trow off the liquid ratio, and you will end up with lentils that are not completely cooked.  



I served my sauce over fancy schmancy veggie pasta.  But you don't have to get that cra-cra, regular pasta, any cut, works.


Printable version here!!

Lentils on FoodistaLentils

Comments

  1. Now that looks like a delicious alternative.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this lentil widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for lentil,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added the lentil widget Alisa...Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts