Reuben of the Gods



Don't that look Slap Yo Mamma good?

So I live in a smallish town.  I mean its not the forgotten city, but its not a bustling metropolis where a dreamy eyed girl goes to make a name for herself.  We have a Walmart, Target, and various fast food joints..so we've got that going for us.  What we don't have, is a place to get really good vegan or vegetarian junk food.  If I thought for a second that it would blow up, I would open my own, and grow fat and happy on vegan meatball subs.  But the average age here is 75, so I think its a bust.
So for now, I'll be in my own kitchen whipping up a vegan reuben, and shoving it my face.


What you need:



  • tempeh, sliced into however many slices makes you happy.
  • 2 slices bread- I use a marble rye
  • Vegan cheese slices- swiss flavor is traditional, but you can mix it up...go ahead
  • sauerkraut
  • Russian dressing- I use this recipe
  • Earth Balance- or other vegan butter

What you do:

Slap some butter on one side of each piece of bread, ala grilled cheese of your youth...
put one slice, butter side down (obvs) in a frying pan then lay the tempeh on the bread, the cheese on top of that, then the sauerkraut.  On the other piece of bread, spread the dressing on the NON BUTTERED side ( I really don't think you are all special, but if I don't give specific instructions, I end up with emails about how I should have been more specific  blah blah blah).  Lay that piece down on top of the sauerkraut and grill till its all melty and the bread is golden brown.  




Comments

Popular Posts